What comes in the Howly Growly Box? (4-10+ players)
- Fur bag, magnetic hinged box with slotted inserts.
- 10 punchboard tiles, including 1 “Start Player” tile
- 84 card deck (10 extra tile cards, 8 Nights, 8 Final Nights, 12 Gold, 5 Salve, 5 Charm, 8 Wound, 4 Wound (6+ players), 4 Wound (9+ players), 12 Bite, 4 Bite (6+ players), 4 Bite (9+ players)
- Spells Expansion (13 cards including rules)
- Curses Expansion (15 cards including rules)
- 24 punchboard coins (including 6 value “3” coins)
- Black velvet deck bag
- Golden ticket (hiding under the box insert)
- 36 page rulebook (including rules in English, German, Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Thai, Japanese
(The Basic Box has the same content, but it does not have the double-height box for slotting the cards and organizing the expansions, and it does not come with any expansions. It now also allows 4-10+ players.)
Note: The 7 Sins/Undead expansions do NOT come in either box. That add-on is available in the shop.
Card Sleeve Questions?
The sleeves come in sets of 200, with 130 wolf backs (for all the main cards and cards that say GROWL on the back), 30 Spell cards (cards with blue backs), 10 Night (includes 2 extras), 10 Final Night (includes 2 extras), and 10 Undead sleeves (for the main undead cards).
- First, sleeve the main 74 cards.
- If you received punchboard tiles then you don’t need the card tiles (or you can sleeve them with your own clear sleeves).
- The 14 Curses cards (pitchfork icon) should be sleeved with the same wolf card back as the main cards.
- The Spells cards (potion icon) should be sleeved with the blue Spells back.
- If you bought the 7 Sins, those are also spell cards, so sleeve them with the blue Spells back as well.
- The Undead expansion cards should be sleeved with the green undead back. The green grave/green blood drop cards from this expansion can be sleeved with your own clear sleeves or remain unsleeved. (These cards are remnants from before the game offered punchboard tiles to replace the card tiles.)
If you bought an extra deck you only need up to 30 extra cards to raise the player count (see “Playing with more than 10 players”). The rest are backup cards, or you can use the second deck as a portable edition of the game, using the black velvet bag.
If you don’t have an extra deck you can invent your own cards to put in the sleeves or save the sleeves to be compatible with current or future expansions.
Are stretch goals missing from the final production version?
I bought the 25 bonus coins and there aren’t the same number as the punchboard coins (24).
HOW DO I SET UP MY HOWLY GROWLY?
Howly Growly comes with a thin pack of 28 cards. Divide those based on their icon in the lower left (Curses and Spells) and slide them into their expansion slots in the box. The icons above line up with the slots.
Open the main 84 card deck. Take out the 10 tile cards. These can be placed anywhere in the box or discarded if you also have punchboard tiles.
Look for the 6+ or 9+ in the bottom-left corner of the bite and wound cards and place them in their appropriate slot (if you want you can use a tile to divide them).
Yellow/Red: Night/Final Night cards (denoted by backs of cards): put in the slot that looks like a yellow/red moon.
Pitchfork: Curses cards expansion
Potion bottle: Spells expansion (packed with Curses expansion)
Green Hand: Undead expansion (packed with 7 Sins expansion, if you purchased that).
Demon mask: 7 Sins expansion (packed with Undead expansion).
The expansions all have their icons in the bottom-left corner of the cards for sorting.
PLAYING WITH MORE THAN 10 PLAYERS
You can (unofficially) play GROWL with up to 15 players. To balance the game, you will need a second copy of the game (a “bare-bones” deck) of 84 cards. (Technically, you only need up to 30 of these extra cards, although you can try different card sets or invent your own variants if you want.)
WHY IS THE DECK FACE-UP INSTEAD OF FACE-DOWN?
• You are allowed to say anything you want about the cards in your hand but you may not show anyone your cards unless a card allows it.
CONVERTING TO A WOLF
WHAT IF I DIE AT THE SAME TIME I GET CONVERTED?
IF THE LAST HUMAN IS CONVERTED TO A WEREWOLF AT THE END OF THE GAME, DO THEY WIN?
ISN’T IT SMARTER TO SHUFFLE THE CARDS I RECEIVE AT NIGHT INTO MY ENTIRE HAND, RATHER THAN SHUFFLING JUST THE 2 CARDS TOGETHER?
CAN WE TALK DURING NIGHT PHASE?
DURING NIGHT PHASE, SOMEONE ACCIDENTALLY PASSED A BITE, EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE A HUMAN! WHAT DO WE DO?
CAN WE RANDOMIZE THE CARDS WE PASS AT NIGHT?
• Players are NOT allowed to shuffle or otherwise randomize the cards they are passing away at night. They must make a specific decision which card to pass left and which card to pass right.
I’M STILL A HUMAN BUT I CAN’T PASS BOTH MY CARDS BECAUSE THEY ARE BITES!
WHAT IF SOMEONE CHEATS?
• The game uses the honor system. Don’t play with people who can’t handle that.
Leave a Reply